Gregory Heille, O.P.
Academic Dean and Executive Vice President
Professor of Homiletics
- D.Min, Preaching (Western Theological Seminary, Reformed Church in America, Holland MI, 1991)
- M.Div.; M.A., Liturgy (Aquinas Institute of Theology, 1975)
- B.A., Mathematics (St. John’s University, Collegeville MN, 1969)
"The Christian life is a person-to-person transforming encounter—betwixt believers and Christ, among believers, and with all the peoples of the world. The Christian gospel is not only an ancient and growing body of doctrine. It is also a transforming set of practices and a call to virtue, always in context, always personal and formational, and all for the common good in the Reign of God.”
The road that brought me to ministry at Aquinas Institute of Theology involved almost twenty years of pastoral ministry at the Catholic Campus Parish of South Dakota State University, Brookings, South Dakota; Associate Pastor at Blessed Sacrament Parish, Madison, Wisconsin; Vocation Coordinator for the Dominican Central Province, Chicago, Illinois; priest for the St. Giles Family Mass Community, Oak Park, Illinois; and chaplain for Dominican Chapel/Marywood and founder and program director for Dominican Center at Marywood in Grand Rapids, Michigan. After completing my Doctor of Ministry in Preaching in 1991, I came to Aquinas Institute in 1994 to live in the formation community of Saint Dominic Priory and to serve as Director of Field Education and Assistant Professor of Homiletics. Now, a surprising twenty years later, I continue to serve as Professor of Homiletics, while serving also since 2007 as Academic Dean and Vice President. I now reside at Saint Louis Bertrand House near Forest Park.
My academic interests have to do with the theology of preaching, Christian healing, and evangelization —with a particular and longstanding interest in repairing the fractured relationship of men and women in our culture (Galatians 3:28).
I continue to take any opportunity I can to hike in the American West. Favorite places include Mount Rainier National Park in Washington, Zion National Park in Utah, Yellowstone National Park in Wyoming, and the Big Sur Coast in California. My most recent hikes have taken me to Mount Rainier and Yellowstone.
- Past President of the Catholic Association of Teachers of Homiletics
- Past President of the Academy of Homiletics
- Commissioner on the Commission for Accrediting of the Association of Theological Schools of the United States and Canada
- Dominican Friar and Promoter of Preaching of the Dominican Central Province of St. Albert the Great
- Online Teaching Certification, Quality Matters “Applying the QM Rubric” (2013)
- Building Intercultural Competency for Ministries Certification and Trainer Certification, Congar Institute for Ministry Development and United States Conference of Catholic Bishops Committee on Multicultural Diversity in the Church (2014)
The Preaching of Pope Francis: Missionary Discipleship and the Ministry of the Word (Liturgical Press, 2015).
As part of the 2016 global 800th Jubilee celebration of the founding of the Dominican Order, the Dominican Central Province collaborated to host “The Way of the Dominican Preacher: Go and Do Likewise!”—a global Dominican Colloquium on Preaching in Saint Louis on October 11–13, 12, 2016. For this signature Jubilee event, Aquinas Institute of Theology’s global collaborators included the Institute for Pastoral Homiletics of the Province of Teutonia in Northern Germany and the Institute for Preaching of the Province of the Philippines. Speakers included Fr. Bruno Cadoré O.P., Master of the Dominican Order (Rome); Sr. Sara Boehmer, O.P., General Prioress of Dominican Sisters of Bethany, theologian and economist (Waldniel, Germany); and Dominican laywoman Mary N. Erika Bolanos, O.P., professor of theology, University of Santo Tomas (Manila, Philippines).
“Christian Reform and Our Baptismal Mission as Disciples and Evangelists”: keynote talk at the Calvin Theological Seminary Fall Preaching Conference in Commemoration of the 500th Anniversary of the Lutheran Reformation, Grand Rapids, Michigan (October 26, 2017)
“The Preaching of Pope Francis.” Keynote talk at the University of Notre Dame Marten Program in Homiletics and Liturgics “To All the World: Preaching and the New Evangelization” Conference (June 27, 2014).