Hsin-hsin Huang, PhD
Associate Professor of Pastoral Studies
- PhD In Counseling and Counselor Education
- University of Missouri – St. Louis, MO, 2010
- MSW In Social Work.
- Washington University, St. Louis, MO, 1992
- BA In Foreign Languages and Literature
- National Taiwan University, Taipei, Taiwan, 1990
I am a “Dominican-Jesuit-Presbyterian-Taiwanese-American” woman. I was raised in Taiwan in the Presbyterian faith, but have expanded my theological roots into the Dominican and Jesuit faith heritage since I came to the United States in 1990. My theological orientation is informed and shaped by all these rich faith and cultural traditions.
I see myself as an educator, mentor, and an advocate for students. Being a pastoral psychotherapist, I believe self-awareness is a crucial component of pastoral ministry. Therefore, I get “personal” in my teaching. In all my courses, students are required to self-reflect, to integrate knowledge, self-understanding, and experience. As Christians, self-knowledge and growth always occur in the context of intimacy with God and communal support. I am passionate about facilitating increased love of God, love of others, and self-love through my teaching.
Other Professional Training and Certification:
- Sabbatical Certificate & Graduate Theological Studies at Aquinas Institute of Theology, 1994-1998.
- Clinical Pastoral Education (CPE) (1 Unit) at Pastoral Department, St. Louis University Hospital, 1999.
- Post-Graduate Certificate in Psychodynamic Psychotherapy and Pastoral Counseling in 2002.
- Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW), since June 2002.
- Post-Graduate Training in Child & Adolescent Psychodynamic Psychotherapy at St. Louis Psychoanalytic Institute, St. Louis, MO, 2003.
- Eye Movement Desensitization & Reprocessing (EMDR) Part I & II Training, 2005.
- Certified EMDR Therapist (EMDR International Association), 2006.
- Emotionally Focused Therapy (EFT) Externship, 2009.
- Clinical Hypnotherapy Training, 2009.
I enjoy gardening, reading, cooking, hiking, traveling, and trying different foods!
- Huang, H., & Kashubeck-West, S. (2015). Exposure, agency, perceived threat, and guilt as predictors of Posttraumatic Stress Disorder in veterans. Journal of Counseling & Development, 93, 3 – 13. DOI: 10.1002/j.1556-6676.2015.00176.x
- Kashubeck-West, S., & Huang, H. H. (2013). Social class relations with body image and eating disorders (pp. 197-217). In W. Liu (Ed.), The Oxford handbook of social class in counseling. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Duckham, B. C., Huang, H., & Tunney, K. (2013). Theoretical support and other considerations in using simulated clients to educate social workers. Smith College Studies in Social Work, 83, 481 – 496. doi:10.1080/00377317.2013.834756
- Kashubeck-West, S., Saunders, K. J. & Huang, H. (2012). Inventories used to assess eating disorder symptomatology in clinical and non-clinical settings. In J. J. Robert-McComb & J. Clopton (Eds.), Eating disorders in women and children: Prevention, stress management, and treatment (2nd ed., pp. 75-98). Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press.
- Huang, H. (2012). Five fantasy lives. In T. M. Lara, M. Pope, & C. W. Minor (Eds.), Experiential Activities for Teaching Career Counseling Classes and Facilitating Career Groups (Vol. 3, pp. 138-139). National Career Development Association.
- Huang, H., & Coker, A. D. (2010). Examining issues affecting African American participation in research studies. Journal of Black Studies, 40, 619-636.
- Coker, A. D., Huang, H., & Kashubeck-West, S. (2009). Research with African Americans: Lessons learned about recruiting African American women. Journal of Multicultural Counseling and Development, 37, 153-165.
- Huang, H. (Spring, 2009). Being an Asian American “other”: My emerging racial identity. Journeys, 11, 5.
Selective Recent Presentations:
- Huang, H. (2016, March). Purposeful Service: Intentionality in the Workplace. Keynote
- presentation for Webster Staff Professional Development Day. Webster University, St. Louis.
- Huang, H. (2015, Dec.) One-Day Training Presentations to the Treating Developmental Trauma Seminar. Sponsored by 林澄輝 Social Welfare Foundation in Tainan and co-sponsored by the National Union of Professional Social Worker Association in Taiwan. Tainan, Taiwan.
- Presentation 1: Understanding developmental and psychological trauma.
- Presentation 2: Impact of psychological trauma and treatment considerations.
- Presentation 3: Enhancing client self-confidence and self-care
- Presentation 4: The use of inner-child techniques in treatment
- Huang, H. (2015, Nov.) Rehabilitation of sex trafficking victims. Presentation to the Keystone Seminar (Contemporary Forms of Slavery/Human Trafficking). Webster University, St. Louis.
- Huang, H. (2015, Oct.). Loved as Who I am. Presented to the Magis Program of the Bridges Foundation – The Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius of Loyola in Everyday Life. St. Louis, MO.
- Huang, H. (2015, Sept.). Treating developmental trauma. Department of Professional Counseling Continuing Education Workshop. Webster University, St. Louis, MO.
- Huang, H. (2015, April). Invited Two-Day Workshop Presentations co-sponsored by Chang Jung Christian University and Tainan Theological College and Seminary, Tainan, Taiwan.
- Presentation 1: The Crisis of Modern Families
- Presentation 2: Pastoral Caregivers’ Growth and Self-Care
- Presentation 3: Family of Origin and One’s Sense of Self
- Presentation 4: Caring for Emotional and Psychological Wounds
- Presentation 5: Helping Couples Establish Intimate Relationships
- Presentation 6: Dimensions of Family Oriented Pastoral Care
- Huang, H. (2015, April). Paschal Mystery and Transformation. Presented to the Magis Program of the Bridges Foundation – The Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius of Loyola in Everyday Life. St. Louis, MO.
- Huang, H. (2014, October). Conceptualizing Veterans’ PTSD from a social justice perspective. Peer-reviewed presentation at the North Central Association for Counselor Education and Supervision 2014 Conference. St. Louis, MO.
- Huang, H. (2013, August). Exodus, paschal mystery, and the process of transformation. Presbyterian (USA) Church 2013 Big Tent Conference and Racial Ethnic & Immigrants Convocation. Louisville, Kentucky.
- Huang, H. (2013, August). Family of origin and images of God. Presbyterian (USA) Church 2013 Big Tent Conference and Racial Ethnic & Immigrants Convocation. Louisville, Kentucky.
- Huang, H. (2013, August). Psychological understanding of sin and the healing of our wounds. Presbyterian (USA) Church 2013 Big Tent Conference and Racial Ethnic & Immigrants Convocation. Louisville, Kentucky.