PASTORAL ASSOCIATE FOR FAITH FORMATION
St. George, New Baden and
St. Mary, Trenton
Initial employment will be part-time (25 – 28 hours per week)
with the possibility of becoming full-time with title Pastoral Associate for Parish Life and expanded duties after the first year of employment.
Ministry of Faith and Discipleship Formation
• Coordinator of the Parish School of Religious Formation of both parishes for grade school age
youth, including the recruitment, continuing formation and oversight of catechists.
• Oversees and develops a comprehensive youth ministry for young adults (Junior and Senior High
School level), including the recruitment, continuing formation and oversight of volunteer youth
ministers. Involvement with and resource to St. George Parish Life Teen Program which is open
to St. Mary youth.
• Works toward the development of and oversight of a joint parish Sacramental Preparation
program for First Reconciliation, First Eucharist and Confirmation. At present, oversees the
sacramental preparation program that takes place in each individual parish.
• Participates in a joint parish Rite of Christian Initiation for Adults process and assists in the
preparation of adults seeking to enter into full communion of the Catholic Church.
• Seeks to provide opportunities for adults of all ages to grow in their discipleship and
understanding of the faith through various opportunities which may include and are not limited to;
Small Christian Communities, Bible Study, short term “seminars,” service opportunities, prayer
groups, retreats, in-services. The PA will assist parents to be the first catechists of their children
and the building up of family life as the domestic church.
Qualifications and Skills
• Bachelor Degree with experience is preferred. Masters of Pastoral Arts or equivalent experience
• Familiarity with and affirms the teachings of the Roman Catholic Church, including Catholic
• Parish based ministry experience of at least two years required.
• Familiarity with or fluency in Spanish is desirable but not required.
• Demonstrates organizational skills, supervisory skills and ability to evaluate others performance
of task in a Pastoral manner.
• Demonstrates skill in long and short range planning.
• Ability to work cohesively with other staff and volunteers.
• Knowledge of the distinction between parish governance and parish management.
• Familiarity with the Diocese of Belleville and the local geographic and socio-economic culture of
the area is desirable but not necessary.
• Proficiency in computer skills, in particular Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Power Point,
• Ability to delegate tasks and oversee others.
• Is in compliance with the Diocese of Belleville Child Protection policies and requirements.
• Knowledge of Catholic and parish organizational structure.
• Knowledge and shows skill in budgeting, financial management and overall management
• Knowledge of record keeping regulations and pertains to both canonical and civil law or has a
willingness to learn.